What Causes the Sensation of Burning Feet?
Having a sensation of burning feet can be caused by many conditions. The most common cause is peripheral neuropathy from diabetic nerve damage that is caused by poorly controlled blood sugar levels. Symptoms include a sense of tingling and numbness and a burning sensation that can range from mild to severe. Excessive alcohol consumption can also damage the peripheral nerves and cause a burning feeling.
The uncomfortable sensation that your feet are burning can be caused by the following:
- Systemic problems like kidney and liver disease
- Vitamin, mineral and other nutrient deficiencies
- Various thyroid conditions
- Side effects of certain medicines
- Toxic chemical and heavy metal contamination
- Circulatory problems
- Peripheral neuropathy, neuroma, and other nerve disorders
- Peripheral artery disease
- Fungal nails and bacterial infections
Since diagnosing the cause of the feeling of burning feet may require specific tests, you need to see your foot doctor for the proper diagnosis. Tests may include nerve conduction studies, bodily fluid analysis, and electromyography.
Treatments for burning feet:
- The right shoes with orthotic inserts—Correctly fitted footwear with custom made orthotic inserts can treat a variety of conditions that create a burning foot sensation including foot neuroma and sesamoiditis. Special shoes and braces for patients with diabetes will also help decrease the annoyance of burning feet.
- Decrease or avoid consumption of alcohol
- Vitamin and nutrient supplementation—Getting proper amounts of calcium and magnesium may require taking supplements. It’s also very important to get the right amount of B vitamins, all of which can help stop your feet from burning.
If you are experiencing burning foot pain, it is important to see your foot specialist to receive the correct care. Consult with the foot doctors at Foot and Ankle Center of Fort Lee, LLC. Our team of board-certified podiatrists includes Dr. Greg Khaimov, Dr. Daniel Pollack, Dr. Walter Majdanski, Dr. Yakov Haimof, Dr. Mathew Yagudayev, and Dr. Kevin Jeong. The center offers convenient locations in Fort Lee NJ, Ringwood NJ, Flushing Queens NY, Woodhaven NY, Brooklyn NY, and Forest Hills NY. Contact us at (201) 363-9844 and schedule an appointment today!