Proper Treatment of Ankle Sprains Is Essential
Twisting and spraining your ankle is a very common injury. Even a minor sprain can cause swelling and may be very painful due to all the nerves and other sensitive components that make up the feet and ankles. Always rest an ankle after twisting it to allow the symptoms to dissipate. That will give you a more accurate idea of the extent of the damage.
Since individuals who have had a previous ankle sprain that wasn’t treated correctly are more susceptible to having future sprains, always see your foot doctor and follow recommended procedure for a full recovery. An ankle that has had several sprains that were not treated properly can become chronically unstable, leading to poor balance and an increase in falls, especially in the elderly.
Your foot doctor will check for any broken bones, tendon strains, and other ligament and tissue damage. An x-ray can be used to check for breaks and an MRI may be necessary to look for any soft tissue problems.
Treating a sprained ankle properly will include the following procedures:
- The RICE method—This is the universal treatment protocol for many foot and ankle injuries and includes Rest, Icing, Compression, and Elevation.
- Pain treatment—Pain relievers like Tylenol and ibuprofen can be taken in moderation to help reduce discomfort and swelling.
- Don’t walk on the foot—You will have to take the weight off the foot with crutches or even a wheelchair to allow proper healing to commence.
- Immobilizing boot—A properly fitted rigid boot will often be required to keep the ankle joint stable as healing occurs. This boot can be removed while resting.
- Physical therapy—Exercises for the feet and ankles will restore strength, flexibility and stability and will increase range of motion.
Ask your podiatrist about advanced laser therapy for pain relief and more rapid healing. If you have suffered an ankle sprain, consult with our board-certified podiatrists at Foot and Ankle Center of Fort Lee, LLC. The center offers convenient locations in Fort Lee NJ, Ringwood NJ, Flushing Queens NY, Woodhaven NY, Brooklyn NY, and Forest Hills NY. Contact us at (201) 363-9844 and schedule an appointment today!