Orthotic Inserts, Diet, and Exercise Can Help Prevent Falls
A major cause of severe injury in people over 65 is from falling. Reduce your chances of falling to stay healthy and active as you get older through proper diet and exercise and by using the right orthotic inserts. Since many older people also have osteoporosis which causes a weakening of the bones, it is important to find ways to avoid falling in the first place.
Reducing the risk of falling and decreasing bone loss will help avoid injuries and help you stay healthy as you get older.
Try these tips to help prevent falls:
- Orthotic inserts—Your foot doctor can correct balance problems and increase ankle stability with custom orthotic inserts and braces to help avoid falling.
- Get plenty of calcium and vitamins—Enough calcium and sufficient vitamin D in the diet will help nurture your bones. Yogurt, broccoli, and cauliflower are excellent dietary sources of calcium. If you don’t get much sun, then take a vitamin D supplement.
- Exercise regularly—Strengthening the muscles, tissues and tendons surrounding your foot and ankle bones will improve stability and decrease the chance of falling.
- Install safety devices—Railings and stair lighting will help to prevent accidents.
- Stop smoking—Quitting smoking is essential for your overall health and your bones will be stronger for it.
- Avoid alcohol—Alcoholic beverages cause dehydration and balance problems that can lead to a severe fall.
If you need help getting properly-fitted shoes and choosing the right orthotic inserts and braces, contact your foot care professional for the proper care. Consult with our board-certified podiatrists at Foot and Ankle Center of Fort Lee, LLC. The center offers convenient locations in Fort Lee NJ, Ringwood NJ, Flushing Queens NY, Woodhaven NY, Brooklyn NY, and Forest Hills NY. Contact us at (201) 363-9844 and schedule an appointment today!