My Feet and Ankles Feel Pregnant Too
You will be counting little toes soon but until then you need to take care of your own. At Foot and Ankle Care Center of Fort Lee, we want to help you stay on your feet and remain healthy while you are pregnant. Some woman dream all their lives about having a baby and others stumble into it not knowing what to expect. Perhaps you have prepared yourself but here are a few topics that may help.
Fairytale or Reality
- Whose shoes are these? Can pregnancy cause your feet to grow? After pregnancy, you may not get that glass slipper back on, sorry. Woman’s feet can grow at least a half size and could continue to grow with each pregnancy.
- Have I become a mermaid? Can water retention cause edema? You are not alone in this one as it is very common at the end of the last trimester. It can be uncomfortable but some experts say the swelling can benefit your body. As your body retains the fluid (which causes the swelling) it becomes softer and can prepare your pelvic joints and tissues for delivery. However, any abnormal swelling should be looked at immediately by a doctor.
- Did I eat too much porage? Gaining weight can cause temporary foot issues and it seems that when the pregnancy weight comes on there are risks for the following conditions to occur; fallen arches (flat feet) heel spurs (plantar fasciitis) metatarsalgia (pain in the ball of the foot)
Rest Up Good and Treat Symptoms
- Rest and elevate your feet as much as you can
- Drink a lot of water throughout your day
- Use cold compresses on swollen ankles or feet
- Wear supportive stockings, socks and shoes
- Soak your feet in an Epsom salt bath
- Eat the right foods for an appropriate weight gain plan
Being pregnant can be a marvelous experience but can also come with some discomforts and concerns. If you are experiencing any trouble with your feet or ankles, either mentioned above or not, please call us so we can give you the care you and your baby need during this special time. We have six conveniently located offices for you to schedule an appointment; Fort Lee and Ringwood in New Jersey plus Flushing Queens, Wood Haven, Brooklyn and their newest location in Forest Hills in New York. Call us at 201-363-9844, so our team can look at your head and shoulders, knees and TOES! Well, mostly toes.