Posts for category: Athlete Foot Care
We are finally getting closer to Spring as we turn our clocks ahead and the days will slowly get longer! This means more activities including cycling, which has become a favorite among many people. Whether it be for transportation, pleasure or sport it is enjoyed by millions of Americans every year. Foot and Ankle Center of Fort Lee, LLC understands the safety of bicycling and the effects it can have on your body.
Cycling tips that won’t tip you over:
- Athletic shoe for leisure cyclists can be a typical athletic shoe used for other activities such as walking, cross training or jogging
- Cycling shoes are designed for the more serious cyclist and should fit snugly around the top of the foot and heel.
- Road cycling or racing cyclist should wear a stiff sole and narrow heeled shoes
- Mountain or off road cyclists need a good tread and a rugged sole
- Toe clips on the pedals allow the cyclist to shift power from body to pedal
- You can also use a shoe that clips into the pedal but you would not be able to walk in them off the bike
- When getting fitted for any of these options take the sock you plan to use with you when you shop
Four Risks that can spin you into injury
- Achilles tendinitis ~ the tendon on the back of the leg that is connected to the heel. Riding with your seat too low or pedaling incorrectly can affect this tendon ~ try to stretch and relax your muscles before and after riding.
- Plantar fasciitis ~ the tissue on the bottom of the heel. Keeping the seat high will relieve the pressure put on that part of the foot while riding.
- Foot numbness ~ also known as pins and needles. The top of the foot and the big toe go numb due to poor fitting shoes and tight clips. Loosen straps and get the right shoe ~ simple solution.
- Metatarsalgia ~ pain in the ball of the foot. Pedaling incorrectly can cause this but correcting foot position and getting the right shoe should fix this.
If you are just starting out on your cycling road trip or have injured yourself from a previous ride contact us at one of our six (6) locations; Fort Lee and Ringwood NJ or Brooklyn, Forest Hills Woodhaven and Flushing NY. Our team of podiatrists are ready to serve you so call for an appointment 201-363-9662. Spring is slowly creeping in and fevers are flying high so use your common sense and “Keep on cyclin”.